Dealing With Mold Mishaps

Homes that have damaged with water need a lot of attention to avoid or prevent an onslaught of mold. Mold creates spores that quickly move throughout the air. They grow into colonies where moisture grows and the right nutrients are present. Mold needs to be cleaned up as quickly as possible because it can make people sick. Also, the longer the mold is in a home, the harder it is to get rid of. After a homeowner can re enter their home, they need to take pictures for the insurance company and get started on the cleanup process. After a flood, there are certain things to do after a flood to prevent the growth of mold.

The first step to prevent the spread of mold is to get rid of wet carpet immediately. If it can be saved, it needs to be professionally cleaned, dried, and disinfected right away. The padding has to be discarded. Wet insulation needs to be disposed of right away because it will bring on the growth of hidden, unhealthy mold and decay fungi. When cleaning, non-phosphate cleaners need to be used because cleaners with phosphate in them are food for mold. When disinfecting never mix ammonia and bleach. It is all important to know that disinfectants can kill mold, but they do not prevent it from growing again. Before the insulation, flooring, and wallboard’s are replaced, do all that is possible to speed the drying of sub-floors, slabs, and wall framing. Use air conditioning or heating plus a dehumidifier, if possible. Water-damage restoration that have special equipment (dehumidifying blowers) can provide the quickest drying time. If possible, test the moisture content of studs and sheathing (using a moisture detector) prior to putting in new insulation. Wood should be at least below twenty percent of moisture content by weight (below fifteen percent is recommended) before the wall is closed. Vinyl wallpaper, vapor barrier paint, and hardboard paneling or any interior finish should not be used because it can prevent the inside of walls from drying.

Call Now Button