Dealing With The Devastation of Fire Damage

After a fire in a home, it is important to start restoring the home as soon as possible in order to prevent more damage.Since a professional fire restoration expert knows how to handle the damage that is left behind after a fire, it is a good idea to have them evaluate the damage. While the people that live in the home are waiting for them to come, there are certain things that they can do.

After a fire takes place in a home, the first thing the people that live in a home should do is call their insurance company. Mold and mildew can grow within twenty-four hours after the water extinguishes a fire. Clothing, cooking utensils, electrical appliances, rugs and carpets, leather and books, pictures, the walls, floors, and furniture, and wood furniture all need special care after a fire.

Clothing that can be bleached needs to be washed with trisodium phosphate, a cup of bleach, and a gallon of warm water. If the mildew stains are fresh, they can be gotten rid of with warm water and soap. Then they need to be rinsed and dried in the sun. If the stain is not gone, then lemon juice and salt or diluted chlorine bleach can be used. Cooking utensils and silverware can be washed with soapy water and then polished with fine-powdered cleaner. No appliances should be used until they are deemed usable by a service representative. If the electric or gas has been turned off, the electric or gas company needs to restore them. Rugs and carpets need to be dried all the way. Leather items need to be cleaned with a damp cloth and then a dry one. Purses and shoes need to have newspapers placed in them so they will get their shape back. Suitcases need to stay open. They also need to be dried away from the sun and heat. After they dry, they need to be cleaned with saddle soap. Leather and suede jackets need to be rinsed in cold water and dried away from the heat and sun.

Books need to be dried with the pages separated. Fire damaged pictures need to be soaked in clear and clear water and rinsed thoroughly. Pictures that are stuck together need to separate on their own. If there are a lot of wet pictures, freeze them and defrost and wash them a few at a time. After they are cleaned, they need to be dried with the picture side up on a smooth hard surface like a glass table or kitchen counter. Walls, floors, and furniture need to be cleaned with a mild soap or detergent mix or the following combination trisodium phosphate, a cup of household cleaner or bleach, and a gallon of warm water. Rubber gloves need to be worn when cleaning with this mixture, the walls and furniture need to be rinsed with warm water, and dried thoroughly after they are washed. Clean a small area at once from the bottom up. Then they need to be rinsed with clear water right away. The ceilings need to cleaned last. If the weather is good, then the windows should be opened and a fan needs to be on to circulate air. Walls and ceilings should not be repainted until they are totally dry. Wallpaper also needs to be repaired and should be put on from top to bottom to avoid streaking.

Wood furniture also needs special care. It should not be dried in the sun and all dirt and mud needs to be cleared off of it. The drawers need to be taken out and dried completely. Wood furniture and fixtures need to be cleaned with a stiff brush and a cleaning solution. Doors and windows need to be opened and the air conditioner or furnace can be turned on if it is needed. If mold grows on the furniture, wipe the wood with a cloth soaked in a mixture of borax that is dissolved in hot water. To get rid of white spots or film, rub the wood surface with a half a cup of water and a half a cup of ammonia. Then the surface needs to be wiped dry and polished with wax or rub the surface with a cloth soaked in a solution of a half a cup of turpentine and half a cup of linseed oil. Turpentine needs to be handled with care as it is combustible. All the rags that were used in the cleanup process need to be contained in an airtight metal container away from the home.

Call Now Button